Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Recap of 2013 XC Season

Forgot to write this a while back after Cross Country season was over, but will give you the last bit of our 2013 XC season.  After Jim Drews, we know what we needed to do.  We had a good solid couple weeks of running mileage & workouts before WIAC conference came around.  The day before WIAC conference, we drove to River Falls to stay over night, once I was on the bus, I was very excited for the opportunity to race in the greatest conference in DIII.  Once we got there, we did our usual pre-meet easy run on the course, basically for our race is doing the loops around 3-4 times, feels like running a track-grass. Got to our hotel & had a meeting, Antczak gave his pep talk & said "Time to show what we can do & make it the best of it".  Next morning- race day, got to the course, had a little butterflies in my stomach but stayed pretty confident.  Did our warm-up & got to start line, and I thought to myself "Time to get after it & give it all you got".  The gun went off & it started off really quick, had a little trouble with it, I was starting to feel the pain during the early going of the race, but kept thinking to myself, don't quit now, you worked too hard for this, just keep pushing through & finish the race.  As the middle of race progressed, I was able to build confidence & able to pass people.  Once it got to close to the end of the race, was giving all I got, kicked hard as I can, once the race was over & thought "Wow I just ran my last race of my collegiate career".  I have to thank my coaches & my teammates for being apart of the 3 years great UW-Platteville XC program, I will for sure miss it next year.  At conference, we finished 5th, hope better but I can see my team winning it next year. As the rest of our season continued, our guys finished in the 9th at Midwest Regionals.  We had three guys All-Region.  My bros Joel & Sam qualified for Nationals.  Then we had Joel & Sam running Nationals the next weekend, none got All-Americans but had a good first experience of it.  Sure will help them carry to next season.  I will be the only runner gone out of the 24 roster.  By the looks of it, I can see a very special team next year, they have all of the pieces to the puzzle, just have to stay healthy & have solid training, this team can do a lot of damage & making a statement in DIII.  I can see us bring home a Conference Title, win Regionals, & possibly the National Championship.  I really believe it.  Definitely will come back for Alumni & making visits.  I love you guys, you are my second family.  Want to say thanks for the memories.       






















           

No comments:

Post a Comment