Saturday, June 15, 2013

Rough Time/Progress

It all started way back in November 2012 during my Thanksgiving break.  I was doing a 10k at the Berbee Derby in Madison, WI.  I was feeling alright in the first half of the race and then all of a sudden I'm starting to not feel right.  My legs and my body were about to give up on me, almost dropping out of the race.  My mind told me to keep going and finish the race.  The time I raced was my worst, it was 45 something, usually I run low 35's in this race.  After I finished the race, I realized I need to get myself checked out.  So I went back to school- UW-Platteville, visited the doctor and told him what was wrong with me, told him my running and racing have gotten worse and worse. So he suggested to do an iron blood test.  After the results came in, he told me I have runner's anemia, which is iron deficiency.  So he suggested that I take iron pills three times a day to start out.  Then said to start eating more red meat and veggies like a salad, leafy greens.  The doctor suggested that I should take a month off from running.  So I agreed with him, took a whole month off no running.  But once winter break started, started doing around 20-25 minutes for the first few months.  It was good to get back into my running and getting back into shape.  The sad part I wasn't able to do indoor and outdoor track.  But during the early winter months- January through February, I was feeling the running is starting to come back.  My iron blood tests are making huge improvements as well.  Took one in March before spring break, he was pleased with the results.  He said I can increase my minutes, but don't go too high on minutes.  So I took the advice, when I started started doing 30-35 minute runs, it was feeling good.             

No comments:

Post a Comment